Benefits of Meditation
You may have noticed more articles and blog posts lately about meditation. I know I have. Perhaps it’s because we’ve just started a new year and starting a meditation practice is on many of our lists of intentions and goals to improve our lives. Meditation is simple to practice, costs little to nothing, and is easy to learn. My daily practice has made a wonderful difference in my life since I started over 20 years ago.
Why start meditating? Because it helps us feel and be awesome! Here are just a few of the many benefits of a daily meditation practice…
- Meditation is known to reduce stress and of course I’m all about that! With reduced stress, we also reduce stress-related issues such as worry, fear, anxiety, tension, and even blood pressure issues. As we create a daily meditation practice, we invite and allow feelings of calm and peace. And we can experience this benefit in as little as 3 minutes! Simply be still and breathe on purpose.
- Meditation can help reduce and relieve pain. A few minutes spent calming the mind and body helps us relax and thereby reduces physical and mental tension. When we relax, pain will usually decrease and may even disappear completely. It is all connected!
- Meditation increases awareness, not just self-awareness, but of also of our surroundings. Awareness brings new skills to the table! Once we can begin to recognize the triggers and first signs of stress and anxiety, we can take pre-emptive steps to avoid the downward spiral of stress-induced behaviors.
- Meditation allows clarity. This is big! As we become still and focus on nothing except perhaps our breathing, the mind chatter quiets. Okay, maybe not in the first minute… 🙂 But once we settle into our practice, all the chaos that normally fills our mind begins to settle, like particles settle in a lake after the rain stops. We are able to see a little deeper, and deeper yet, to the still point beneath the surface. Sitting with that still point, the answers to questions we’ve been mulling over, or solutions to problems we’ve been facing will appear.
- Meditation helps us smile. Sometimes during my morning meditation, as I quiet my thoughts and sit in silence, ideas will come, or I’ll realize something that should have been obvious but I wasn’t seeing it until that moment. And I smile. Because it had been there the whole time. I was simply too distracted to see it. See the mention of clarity above.
- Meditation helps us sleep better. Need I say more? Meditation helps reduce stress which reduces insomnia. We fall asleep faster, stay asleep longer, and experience more restful sleep.
There is so much more about meditation to learn and experience, and this list is enough to help you get started. I’ve spent 20 years practicing, learning, and benefiting from meditation and I can recommend it with my whole self. If you have any questions about how to get started, (and it’s easier than you think), I’m here and I would love to support you on this path.
“It’s impossible,” said pride.
“It’s risky,” said experience.
“It’s pointless,” said reason.
“Give it a try,” whispered the heart.
Give it a try…
Please remember: It's important to contact a professional if things feel too big for you, whether it be a physician, psychologist, psychiatrist, or certified EFT practitioner. Never discontinue your current medications without first consulting your doctor.