EFT Basic Recipe
Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT), also called Tapping, is an easy to learn self-help tool. Let’s talk about how you can actually use it today, right now. Here is a quick ‘basic recipe’ that you can follow to help with just about any bothersome issue. (This is a long-ish post and it just touches the surface of Tapping. If you still have questions after reading this, I’m here. I am always happy to share more information about this amazing tool.)
Step by step:
- Is there a physical symptom (headache, knee pain…), or an emotional issue (sadness, anger, fear…) that is bothering you right now? Be as specific as you can. For physical issues get as descriptive as possible. For example: “This constant, sharp pain in my low back.” For emotional issues use specific individual events. For example: “That argument with my sister when I was nine.”
- Estimate or guess the intensity level that you are feeling now, on a scale from 0 to 10, where 0 is no distress at all and 10 is maximum distress. You might want to write that down for later comparison when we check progress.
- The EFT Setup Statement is where we acknowledge the problem and state that we accept ourselves anyway! Repeat the setup statement three times, while continuously tapping the side of the hand (red dot on the hand diagram). For example: “Even though I have this _______ (name the problem), I deeply and completely accept myself.” Is the second part of that statement hard for you to say today? You have options! For example: “I am open to accepting myself,” “I choose to accept myself anyway,” “I accept the way I feel,” or simply “I’m OK.”
- With your fingertips or a flat hand, gently tap about 5-7 times on each of the energy points shown in the diagram (either or both sides), while repeating a brief phrase that reminds you of the problem. For example: “This low back pain.” Start tapping gently at the top of the head (TOH), then go to the inner edge of the eyebrow (EB), on the bone on the side of the eye (SE), on the bone under the eye (UE), under the nose (UN), in the crease under your bottom lip (Ch), near the collar bone (CB), and about 4″ under the armpit on the seam line (UA). You don’t need to count the number of taps or worry about getting this exactly right. Just tap. If you want to tap more on one spot than the others, do that. Follow your instincts about what is right for you. You can keep saying the same reminder phrase at each point, or change it up as thoughts or words come to you, keeping your focus on what is bothering you for these first rounds.
- After tapping on all those points, take a slow, deep breath and notice your intensity level again on a scale from 0 to 10. If it’s still above a 5, tap the side of the hand again and say: “Even though I still have some remaining _____ (problem), I deeply and completely accept myself” and then repeat the tapping point sequence a few times.
- Pause to reassess the intensity level of the problem now. Repeat the tapping sequence until your intensity level is as close to 0 as possible, but below a 3. Once your intensity level is a 3 or below, try a round of positive tapping. For example, your reminder statements might be “I choose to let go of this pain,” “I feel safe in my body and it is safe to let go of this pain,” or “It is safe to release this sadness.”
Now that you know how to tap on pain and emotional issues, you can tackle things easily as they come up. And you now have the tools to start your Personal Peace Procedure! You are going to love that.
Be aware that as you tap, your mind relaxes and old memories may come to the surface, or sudden insights on why you are feeling a certain way may appear. What a gift! Keep a notebook handy to jot things down so you can tap on them later. Work your way through your list to remove the energy blockages associated with these issues and become a more calm and relaxed version of you!
Keep Calm and Tap On!
Please remember: It's important to contact a professional if things feel too big for you, whether it be a physician, psychologist, psychiatrist, or certified EFT practitioner. Never discontinue your current medications without first consulting your doctor.